In 1870, a small machine shop located in Green Bay, Wisconsin began manufacturing parts for sawmills and for repairing steamboats. David Hudson and Alexander Sharp purchased the shop in 1910 and named the business The Hudson-Sharp Machine Company. Hudson-Sharp began expanding into paper mill equipment including building the first napkin folder in the United States.
The company continued to diversify its product line into the 1940's. A change in ownership occurred in 1947 when the business’ general manager Sam Campbell and a few close associates purchased the company. The company's product line was further broadened by the invention of the horizontal flow wrapper. The original horizontal flow wrapper in the U.S., the "Campbell Wrapper," was introduced in the late 40's and was quickly adopted throughout the world in the wrapping of candy, cheese, baked goods and various other products.
FMC Corporation acquired Hudson-Sharp in 1956. FMC's Packaging Systems Division continued to develop the flow wrapper product line with the introduction of inverted, dual lane, shrink and polyethylene wrappers in addition to feeding equipment. In 1994, FMC sold the flow wrapper product line to SASIB, which owned the business through 2000.
In January 2001, John Dykema, who had, in 1998, purchased Circle Packaging Machinery, Inc. (manufacturer of 4-sided seal packaging equipment) from SASIB, established Campbell Wrapper Corporation to acquire the flow wrapper product line and other affiliated businesses from SASIB.
The Campbell flow wrapper business has an impressive reputation for building custom high quality, rugged and dependable packaging equipment and providing exceptional spare parts and service support for the life of the equipment. Campbell Wrapper Corporation continues to design and develop new products with that mind-set and integrates the latest electronic control technology available. The organization is staffed with experienced personnel, many with continuous service dating back to the FMC era, and is located in a modern 60,000 (soon to be 95,000) square foot facility in De Pere, Wisconsin, a suburb of Green Bay.